past Tom Gaylord
Writing as B.B. Pelletier

transmission sealer
Automatic transmission sealant works to stop slow gas leaks in CO2 guns.

This study covers:

  • Bad vibes
  • Unintentional examination
  • Is the airgun I fixed still property gas?
  • The examination
  • More that but my guns
  • When does it work?
  • How about pneumatics?

This is a fun piddling report that I just happened to do, partly past accident. On Baronial 28, 2013 I published a report titled Neat fix for majority-fill CO2 guns. In that report I mentioned that Dennis Quackenbush had told me about a manner to fix some slow-leaking CO2 pistols, using automatic transmission sealant. He puts it into the gas port on the gun, then blows it in when the gun is charged with gas. I reported trying it on a bulk-fill up gun of my own and information technology worked.

Bad vibes

Immediately the comments started about how this sealant works by swelling the seals or turning them into a soft mushy mess, and that eventually the seals will neglect if you utilise it. In a comment, I actually reported nigh 6 months later on that the gun I had resealed this manner was withal working and holding gas, but that only started the warnings all over again.

Unintentional test

It has been nigh 2 years five months since I wrote that report, and final week a reader asked me about fixing a tiresome leak in a CO2 guns so I told him about information technology. When he responded that he was going to be cautious because he didn't know what the ATF sealant might practise to the seals, I thought it was fourth dimension for this report! I told him I had been soaking the o-rings in sealant for four years, but information technology turns of that was not correct. It was 2 years 5 months.

My program was to soak some mutual o-rings in the sealant for near 4 months and see what happened. I put some sealant fluid in a jar and dropped in a couple o-rings. And then I left them! I never got around to writing that report until now — 2 years and 5 months later. The o-rings have been soaking in the sealant continuously since I put them in!

o-rings in ATF sealant
Ii common Buna o-rings have been immersed in automatic transmission fluid sealant for 2 years five months without any swelling.

flexible o-ring
The o-rings are not soft or brittle. They notwithstanding have the same flexibility as when they went into the fluid.

Is the airgun I fixed still holding gas?

I would love to be able to tell you lot that the Crosman 116 .22-caliber bulk-make full pistol I stock-still this way was still holding gas. But it isn't. I tried information technology when I began writing this report. It held gas for months but not for years.

I too took a leaking Crosman 150 and added some ATF sealant when I started writing this report. This is a pistol that uses a 12-gram cartridge. The fluid sealed the gun immediately and it was nonetheless shooting and holding 24 hours afterward. I cannot hear a leak of any kind.

More that merely my guns

I'd like to bespeak out that over the years this test has been running I have advised several blog readers with leaking gas guns to attempt this. Some have and I have received several reports of information technology working fine. I have also stock-still several other of my own cartridge gas guns (12-gram) this way. Then I'm not just telling you the sealant doesn't hurt the seals — I'm also telling you this really works to seal leaking gas guns — regardless of whether they use cartridges or are majority-filled.

When does it piece of work?

This doesn't work on guns that accept fast leaks. If you tin hear the gas leaking out when you accuse the pistol, this isn't going to work. It works on guns that have 24 hours or more than to leak down.

It works immediately upon application. Since the seals practise not take to soften or corking for it to work, it takes no fourth dimension at all to seal the leak. If the leak isn't sealed right abroad, it's probably never going to work.

This stuff works meliorate than Crosman Pellgunoil for stopping dull leaks. I would all the same advise using Pellgunoil in the get-go for equally long every bit you can, though, as it contains an o-ring conditioner that I'chiliad not sure the transmission finish leak has. Utilize Pellgunoil first and when it doesn't work, use this stuff.

How about pneumatics?

I have tried this stuff on multi-pump pneumatics without success. My testing wasn't very scientific, I just tried it in a couple old leakers, only in that location is nix to report.

That's information technology for this report. I only idea I'd put an end to the conversation nearly what this stuff does to airgun seals. I doesn't practise annihilation except stop slow leaks.